Want to get involved?
Are you a law student with a passion for justice? Want to help empower young people to stand up for their rights? Then apply for a placement with Young Workers Centre!
Applications are now open for our Summer and Semester 1 2020 volunteer advocate intakes!
Our volunteer advocates are the first contact point for young workers seeking assistance. Throughout your placement, you’ll gain experience drafting documents and correspondence, researching and preparing briefs, interpreting and applying industrial agreements, and more!
As advocate positions are unpaid, we only accept advocates through university placement programs, so that you get course credit for your time with us. We are now accepting applications from ACU, La Trobe, RMIT, Swinburne, and Victoria Uni students for our Summer and Semester 1 advocate programs.
- 2-3 days per week (flexible depending on your university placement requirements)
- commencing Wed 15 January 2020 with two-day training
- concluding in late February/early March
SEMESTER 1 PROGRAM
- 1 day per week
- commencing Mon 24 February 2020 with two-day training
- concluding in May-July (depending upon your university placement requirements)
Young Workers Centre runs three volunteer intakes a year:
- Summer (January-February), 2-3 days per week
- Semester 1 (February-June), 1 day per week
- Semester 2 (July-December), 1 day per week
Completion of an Employment Law/IR Law subject is preferred but not essential, as training is provided. We strongly welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
How to apply
- Check with your university placement coordinator for any uni-specific requirements, e.g. completion of a particular subject, minimum GPA
- Complete our application form, together with a cover letter, resume, and copy of your academic transcript (unofficial copies are fine!)
- After checking with your university placement coordinator – email your application, cover letter, resume, and transcript to Leon Harper, Legal Placement Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)