DID YOU KNOW?
You don't EVER have to do unsafe work.
By law, no one can force you to do work that isn’t safe.
Your boss must take all reasonable steps to make sure your workplace is safe for you and your co-workers.
Unsafe work can include:
- Not being provided with safety equipment – such as gloves and glasses – when
dealing with chemicals
- Not being given appropriate breaks when working in hot or cold conditions
- Being expected to use broken equipment, such as bread slicing machines with no
safety guards on them
It’s important to take care of your safety at work.
- Ask your boss to provide appropriate training and equipment for the work that you are expected to do
- Speak to someone you trust, such as your workplace Health & Safety representative, or a parent or friend
- Contact the Young Workers Centre on 1800 714 754