After a campaign by Victorian workers, the Sick Pay Guarantee was implemented in Victoria to allow eligible casual and contract workers to receive sick and carer’s pay when they can’t work due to their health or the health of their loved ones.
Everyone deserves to be able to take care of their health and their loved ones, without the stress or consequences of taking time off work without pay.
To receive sick pay guarantee, there are a few steps you need to follow to sign up. You can do this right now, even before you get sick.
First you’ll need to check if you’re eligible to sign up. This will mean answering some questions about yourself and the job that you do.
- 15 years or older
- Physically working in Victoria
- Right to work in Australia
- Working an average of at least 7.6 hours each week in an eligible job
- You don’t have access to paid leave at any job
- Find out more about your eligibility here
When signing up, you’ll need to provide:
- Two forms of Identification (E.g. passport or driver’s license)
- Proof of work (E.g. payslip)
- Preferred bank details
Victoria is the first and only state in Australia to provide this guarantee as of yet, though we’re hoping that with more interest, the sick pay guarantee could become a nationwide program. Go sign up today!!
For more information on the Victorian Sick Pay Guarantee and how to sign up, visit these websites:
This blog post was written by work experience student, Scarlett (it was great to have you join us Scarlett!)